Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

simulate AC voltage phase shift due to medium property discontinuity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am rather new to COMSOL so I have attached my model just in case I accidentally confused you.

I want to simulate the phase shift of AC electric signal due to discontinuity of medium property. So I have basically two electrodes(one grounded, another applied an AC potential ==>V*e^(jwt)) in a tank of water. I want to see the phase shift caused by the introduction of material of different dielectric property.

I have used the AC/DC module and ran a frequency analysis at 1KHz and 100KHz. The boundary condition at the electrode is set to 4 and GND. At two different frequencies, i do see different field lines. Here comes the questions
1. when I set the BC to be 4V and use frequency domain analysis, does COMSOL consider the potential to be time variant?
2. How can I see the complex voltage from the frequency simulation?When I click on the plot, i am always getting real voltages. I want to see how much the phase has been changed due to the introduction of the object.

I am not even sure I am using the correct model. But by varying the frequency, I clearly see the change of object property. From insulating to conducting? But why can't I have the complex potentials?

Thanks a lot!

2 Replies Last Post Mar 20, 2012, 12:31 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2012, 6:31 a.m. EDT
Hi,

according to your questions:

1. Yes a harmonic voltage is applied
2. The field quantities are complex, just use the real() and imag() operators to get the complex components.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, according to your questions: 1. Yes a harmonic voltage is applied 2. The field quantities are complex, just use the real() and imag() operators to get the complex components. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2012, 12:31 p.m. EDT
Thanks Edgar, That is very helpful
Thanks Edgar, That is very helpful

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.