Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deposited beam power with Frequency Domain Study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm modeling a (coated) microcantilever, which is actuated by shining a laser on one side. The difference in thermal expansion between the coating material and the cantilever material causes a bending effect.

I use the following models: "Solid Mechanics", "Heat Transfer in Solids" and "Thermal Expansion". I use "Deposited Beam Power" to simulate the laser.

This model works as expected in a stationary study, but I'm now trying to extract some frequency information (with the laser being modulated). When performing this study, I get a nice resonance peak. However, the amplitude is extremely low, namely an end displacement in the order of 1e-20 (while I'm expecting something in the order of at least 1e-7). It also looks like it's not taking the laser into account, because when I'm changing the laser location, the amplitude remains unchanged.

I've read some other related topics, and I get the impression that it might not be supported by COMSOL. As I'm new to COMSOL, I'm wondering what could be an alternative solution to extract this frequency information?

Kind regards,

Stijn Paardekooper

0 Replies Last Post Jan 7, 2021, 5:28 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Stijn Paardekooper

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.