Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh and Boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am working on Acoustic simulation on lung airways. Sound will be sent to the airways to the lungs.

I imported the mesh into COMSOL. However, it seems that COMSOL could not recognize the boundary which I would use as an "inlet". Can anyone help me with this and let me know how to select the "circled" portion as a "inlet"?

Pictures attached.

I have another question that how to set the bifurcations with a thickness WITHOUT creating the real walls? Is it possible to do so in COMSOL?

Thanks a lot.

3 Replies Last Post Aug 27, 2012, 8:17 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 19, 2012, 4:49 a.m. EDT
hello ,

I am facing the same problem. I have a volume mesh and I want to implement various physics, boundary conditions etc to the domains in the mesh.

Pranay
hello , I am facing the same problem. I have a volume mesh and I want to implement various physics, boundary conditions etc to the domains in the mesh. Pranay

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 19, 2012, 6:16 a.m. EDT
Hi

importing mesh is something special in COMSOL as you define all physics on the Geometric entities and you create the mesh from the entities. (top => down)
But when you import a mesh, COMSOL must some way recreate the geometry (bottom => up), which is far from trivial, so that one can define the physic s and BC on the respective domains and boundaries.

Check carefully the doc for 4.3, as the mesh import has been increasingly updated lately ;)

And if you have a maintenance contract with COMSOl, and you want to get "support" send the mail to them directly, as here you are on the "Users" forum, we are all users

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi importing mesh is something special in COMSOL as you define all physics on the Geometric entities and you create the mesh from the entities. (top => down) But when you import a mesh, COMSOL must some way recreate the geometry (bottom => up), which is far from trivial, so that one can define the physic s and BC on the respective domains and boundaries. Check carefully the doc for 4.3, as the mesh import has been increasingly updated lately ;) And if you have a maintenance contract with COMSOl, and you want to get "support" send the mail to them directly, as here you are on the "Users" forum, we are all users -- Good luck Ivar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2012, 8:17 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Yes, in COMSOL Multiphysics 4.3 it is possible to explicitly control the partitioning of the imported mesh into domains, faces, edges, and vertices. More information can be found here:
www.comsol.se/products/4.3/#meshandgeometry

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, Yes, in COMSOL Multiphysics 4.3 it is possible to explicitly control the partitioning of the imported mesh into domains, faces, edges, and vertices. More information can be found here: http://www.comsol.se/products/4.3/#meshandgeometry Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.