Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Different results even with rotational symmetry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I have constructed a 2D geometry (4 circles arranged in each corner of a square) with rotational symmetry for every 90 deg (i.e. rotation of the object 45 deg or -45 deg will give identical structures). But when I evaluate it in wave optics (using expressions defined in variables), for 45 deg rotation and -45 deg rotation I get totally different results eventhough the objects look exactly same. I have used rotate in geometry - operations. Logically both the results should be same.

Can anyone suggest procedures to solve this problem?

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post Feb 15, 2022, 11:16 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Feb 15, 2022, 10:48 a.m. EST

I suggest you take a close look at your mesh and boundary conditions for both cases. I'm guessing that either or both changed (but that you didn't notice) when you modified the geometry. Keep looking and you'll find what went wrong.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I suggest you take a close look at your mesh and boundary conditions for both cases. I'm guessing that either or both changed (but that you didn't notice) when you modified the geometry. Keep looking and you'll find what went wrong.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Feb 15, 2022, 11:16 a.m. EST

Another place to look is material properties, if not isotropic.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Another place to look is material properties, if not isotropic. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.