Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding the principal strain along the direction of the force applied

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For a stationary static study, I apply a body load to the model. I then want to find the max strain at a point with respect to the direction of the force application. Exporting the data for solid.ep1, solid.ep2, solid.ep3, and its respective component directions (solid.ep1X, etc.), I am thinking I can create the vector of the principal strains and then use external math for solving the component of one vector along another to find the amount of strain along the direction of force applied. My question is whether solid.ep1, and the other principal strains are with resepect to the global axes of x, y, and z in COMSOL?

4 Replies Last Post Mar 3, 2022, 8:51 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Feb 17, 2022, 9:51 a.m. EST

The orientation vectors, (solid.ep1X, etc.) are expressed in the global directions, yes.

However, there is something strange with the question, or at least the terminology. The three principal strains have certain orientations, computed from the full strain tensor. There cannot be anything like "principal strain along the direction of the force applied", unless by some coincidence, one of the principal strains happen to be oriented in the load direction.

If you are interested in the direct (or normal) strain (as opposed to shear strain) in a certain direction, the easiest option is to select a coordinate system coinciding with the load in the Linear Elastic Material. Then the local strain tensor has the orientations you are looking for.

You can also use the Matrix Transform feature under Definitions, to perform arbitrary rotations of tensors.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The orientation vectors, (solid.ep1X, etc.) are expressed in the global directions, yes. However, there is something strange with the question, or at least the terminology. The three principal strains have certain orientations, computed from the full strain tensor. There cannot be anything like "principal strain along the direction of the force applied", unless by some coincidence, one of the principal strains happen to be oriented in the load direction. If you are interested in the direct (or normal) strain (as opposed to shear strain) in a certain direction, the easiest option is to select a coordinate system coinciding with the load in the Linear Elastic Material. Then the local strain tensor has the orientations you are looking for. You can also use the Matrix Transform feature under Definitions, to perform arbitrary rotations of tensors.

Posted: 2 years ago Feb 17, 2022, 4:48 p.m. EST

Henrik, Thanks for the answer. I am intersted in the strain in a certain direction (that being the direction the force is applied). Can you give me a little more instruction on how to "select a coordinate system coinciding with the load" so the strain values I attain for the strain tensor has the orientation along that direction? I appreciate the help.

Henrik, Thanks for the answer. I am intersted in the strain in a certain direction (that being the direction the force is applied). Can you give me a little more instruction on how to "select a coordinate system coinciding with the load" so the strain values I attain for the strain tensor has the orientation along that direction? I appreciate the help.

Posted: 2 years ago Mar 2, 2022, 4:33 p.m. EST

The orientation vectors, (solid.ep1X, etc.) are expressed in the global directions, yes.

However, there is something strange with the question, or at least the terminology. The three principal strains have certain orientations, computed from the full strain tensor. There cannot be anything like "principal strain along the direction of the force applied", unless by some coincidence, one of the principal strains happen to be oriented in the load direction.

If you are interested in the direct (or normal) strain (as opposed to shear strain) in a certain direction, the easiest option is to select a coordinate system coinciding with the load in the Linear Elastic Material. Then the local strain tensor has the orientations you are looking for.

You can also use the Matrix Transform feature under Definitions, to perform arbitrary rotations of tensors.

Henrik,

Any chance you could provide some information on how to use the Matrix Transform feature under Definitions? My thought would be to transform the strain matrix to the system that aligns with my force vector. However, I don't understand where in the Matrix Transform feature I input a transform matrix or some "transform rule"

>The orientation vectors, (solid.ep1X, etc.) are expressed in the global directions, yes. > >However, there is something strange with the question, or at least the terminology. The three principal strains have certain orientations, computed from the full strain tensor. There cannot be anything like "principal strain along the direction of the force applied", unless by some coincidence, one of the principal strains happen to be oriented in the load direction. > >If you are interested in the direct (or normal) strain (as opposed to shear strain) in a certain direction, the easiest option is to select a coordinate system coinciding with the load in the Linear Elastic Material. Then the local strain tensor has the orientations you are looking for. > >You can also use the Matrix Transform feature under Definitions, to perform arbitrary rotations of tensors. Henrik, Any chance you could provide some information on how to use the Matrix Transform feature under Definitions? My thought would be to transform the strain matrix to the system that aligns with my force vector. However, I don't understand where in the Matrix Transform feature I input a transform matrix or some "transform rule"

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Mar 3, 2022, 8:51 a.m. EST
Updated: 2 years ago Mar 3, 2022, 8:52 a.m. EST

Hello Coleman,

To request support from COMSOL staff, please use www.comsol.com/support/ .

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Coleman, To request support from COMSOL staff, please use www.comsol.com/support/ . Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.