Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating a receiving antenna

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am currently trying to simulate an isolated bowtie antenna on a silicon substrate exposed to a plane wave. For this simulation, I have tried several techniques, all of which use the RF module in frequency domain. To measure the incoming signal from the antenna, I placed a lumped port in the middle of the bowtie and plotted the measured power. Initially, I housed the system in a rectangular block and set scattering boundery conditions on all the sides. The substrate is extended to the walls of this outer rectangular block. For one of the sides (The side above the antenna), I applied incident plane wave. Since I am trying to simulate an antenna sitting on an infinitely large substrate, I would expect that the results would remain unchanged when adjusting the size of the rectangular block housing the system (adjusting the size of the substrate as well). When I do this, the resulting power drastically changes implying that the walls of the rectangular block are influencing the results. I have also tried applying PMLs to the outer walls as well with the same results. Any advice is much appreciated.

Best, Daniel

1 Reply Last Post Jul 13, 2022, 9:56 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago Jul 13, 2022, 9:56 a.m. EDT

You say that you "applied {an} incident plane wave." Did you use the "scattered field" formulation to do that? If not, then I suggest you try that. See the attached figure for more info about how/where that is to be done. If you have already done that and the problem still exists, then I suggest you upload your .mph file to the forum, to make it easier for the people reading here to help you find the cause of your problem.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You say that you "applied {an} incident plane wave." Did you use the "scattered field" formulation to do that? If not, then I suggest you try that. See the attached figure for more info about how/where that is to be done. If you have already done that and the problem still exists, then I suggest you upload your .mph file to the forum, to make it easier for the people reading here to help you find the cause of your problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.