Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Getting same value of electric field even after changing the material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am trying to find electric field generated by an emitter plates for elctrospray process. I have made a 2D diagram with a hole size of 0.2 mm in PTFE Material. I have modelled two electrodes seprated by a distance of 2mm. I have applied about 6500V to the electrolyte which is modelled to be inside the hole.

My question is that i am getting same value of electric field even after changing the material properties although the potential difference distribution looks right. Can you please tell me the reason for this?

I am getting same value of electric eventhough the material electric conductivity is very apart.

I have attached the pictures for your reference

3 Replies Last Post Jul 15, 2022, 1:41 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Jul 15, 2022, 7:29 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Jul 15, 2022, 7:30 a.m. EDT

Hi,

as long as you keep the potential BCs fixed, the electric field does not depend on the material properties. Only the current field will change with changing conductivity

Cheers, Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, as long as you keep the potential BCs fixed, the electric field does not depend on the material properties. Only the current field will change with changing conductivity Cheers, Edgar

Posted: 2 years ago Jul 15, 2022, 8:34 a.m. EDT

Thanks a lot for the information

I would request you to have a look at paper that uses materials like PTFE, PEEK etc for a 2D electrostatic axisymteric analysis. They have got different values of electric field for different materials.

Thanks a lot for the information I would request you to have a look at paper that uses materials like PTFE, PEEK etc for a 2D electrostatic axisymteric analysis. They have got different values of electric field for different materials.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Jul 15, 2022, 1:41 p.m. EDT

My statement is valid for electric fields in one homogeneous material domain. In case more than one material is penetrated by the field, the field will change when one or more of the materials is changed.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
My statement is valid for electric fields in one homogeneous material domain. In case more than one material is penetrated by the field, the field will change when one or more of the materials is changed.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.