Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer simulation result is much larger than experimental result

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I modelled the heat transfer through a hollow brick to calculate the equivalent thermal conductivity. So general heat transfer and weakly compressible Navier-Stokes modules were taken to build the model. But the simulation result is a little larger than the value obtained from experiments. The result of simulation is 0.91 w/(km), while experimental result is 0.68 w/(km).

I consider there should be some problems with my model (probably convection), but I can't find it. The simulation is successful, no error messages. So what could be the problem causing the big difference between computational result and experimental result?

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance
Xiqi

3 Replies Last Post Dec 5, 2012, 1:44 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 2, 2012, 7:58 p.m. EDT
For the convection, bousinesq approximation was applied in the model, namely volume force=g*beta*rho*(T0-T). However, after I change the value of T0, the velocity of convection didn't change. What's the problem?

For the convection, bousinesq approximation was applied in the model, namely volume force=g*beta*rho*(T0-T). However, after I change the value of T0, the velocity of convection didn't change. What's the problem?

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 3, 2012, 12:24 p.m. EST
If you have found a solution for this problem, I am very interested. COMSOL also overestimates results tested experimentally.
If you have found a solution for this problem, I am very interested. COMSOL also overestimates results tested experimentally.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 5, 2012, 1:44 a.m. EST
Hi

if your model and measurements disagree, which parameters should you adapt to get them closer ? This could tell what is wrong, if it's not just a mesh issue, in HT fluid solid the mesh is terribly important and makes easily >>100% errors

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if your model and measurements disagree, which parameters should you adapt to get them closer ? This could tell what is wrong, if it's not just a mesh issue, in HT fluid solid the mesh is terribly important and makes easily >>100% errors -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.