Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Discretization schemes, micromixer tutorial

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol users,

I kindly ask you to help me with the following task. I have to specify the discretization schemes employed in my model. Since I used an existing tutorial model 'micromixer.mphbin' and did not change any of the tutorial's solver procedures could you please help me specify/identify the discretization schemes employed?

I tried to get this information from the tutorial's pdf (under 'Study 1' section) though unsuccessfully.
Thank you very much for your help,
best regrads!

3 Replies Last Post Sep 11, 2012, 10:06 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 6, 2012, 1:35 p.m. EDT
Hi

is the polynomial discretizatio of te elements you are inteested in ?
If so you need to ensure yiu have enabled the advanced nodes and the discretzation ones, to see them => options preferences ... tab

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi is the polynomial discretizatio of te elements you are inteested in ? If so you need to ensure yiu have enabled the advanced nodes and the discretzation ones, to see them => options preferences ... tab -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 11, 2012, 6:32 a.m. EDT
Hello Ivar!

Thank you for your response. I have additional question; under the 'Discretization' node for Laminar flow node the following notations are possible:
- P1 + P1
- P2 + P1
- P3 + P2

Can anybody explain me what do this definitions stand for?
Thank you very much for help!
Hello Ivar! Thank you for your response. I have additional question; under the 'Discretization' node for Laminar flow node the following notations are possible: - P1 + P1 - P2 + P1 - P3 + P2 Can anybody explain me what do this definitions stand for? Thank you very much for help!

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 11, 2012, 10:06 a.m. EDT
Hi again!

I found the answer to what I was looking for on the forum:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/20434/

P1+P1 is first order elements for velocity and first order elements for pressure
P2+P1 is second order elements for velocity and first order elements for pressure
P3+P2 is third order for velocity and second order for pressure

Thanks everybody!
Hi again! I found the answer to what I was looking for on the forum: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/20434/ P1+P1 is first order elements for velocity and first order elements for pressure P2+P1 is second order elements for velocity and first order elements for pressure P3+P2 is third order for velocity and second order for pressure Thanks everybody!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.