Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply current on induction coil?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am using Comsol Multiphysics 4.3, It's a new environment for me.
My goal is to design the induction coil and put an alternativ current in it with the help of AC/DC module.

I designed a model ProE and import it in Comsol. But i not able put a current through the material in order to simulate the coil?

Please any one can help me that how to apply current?
Thank you,

7 Replies Last Post Sep 21, 2012, 4:39 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 17, 2012, 8:21 a.m. EDT
Hi,

you can add the circuit physics and add terminals to your model.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, you can add the circuit physics and add terminals to your model. Cheers Edgar

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 17, 2012, 9:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

but are you interestied in the transient or the steady state sinus type excitation ?, if the time transient is of interest, use a time stepping solver, and a A0*sinus(omega[1/s]*t) type BC excitation, if it is the steady state sinus excitation, you should consider the harmonic development of your equations, hence use the frequency domain solver and set your BC to the amplitude A0 only without any "t" dependnece. Check the equations of the main physics for the difference in PDE development betwqeen time series and frequency domain

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but are you interestied in the transient or the steady state sinus type excitation ?, if the time transient is of interest, use a time stepping solver, and a A0*sinus(omega[1/s]*t) type BC excitation, if it is the steady state sinus excitation, you should consider the harmonic development of your equations, hence use the frequency domain solver and set your BC to the amplitude A0 only without any "t" dependnece. Check the equations of the main physics for the difference in PDE development betwqeen time series and frequency domain -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 18, 2012, 1:47 a.m. EDT
Hi!

In 3D you can use in V4.3 also single-turn coil domain or multi-turn coil domain, but single-turn coil domain only with stationary or frequency domain, since this feature will use MEF formulations.
Multi-turn coil domain seems to work also in transient.
But read carefully the doc, because definition is not simple, if you have complex geometry (numerical coil type).

Ralf
Hi! In 3D you can use in V4.3 also single-turn coil domain or multi-turn coil domain, but single-turn coil domain only with stationary or frequency domain, since this feature will use MEF formulations. Multi-turn coil domain seems to work also in transient. But read carefully the doc, because definition is not simple, if you have complex geometry (numerical coil type). Ralf

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 20, 2012, 5:07 a.m. EDT
Thanks to all to reply me,
And I have got the way to apply current in coil,.
and ofcourse your comments is very use full to do approach,
Thanks again.
Chirag
Thanks to all to reply me, And I have got the way to apply current in coil,. and ofcourse your comments is very use full to do approach, Thanks again. Chirag

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 20, 2012, 8:38 a.m. EDT

helllo chirag can you tel me how the procedure is
--
kishore Naik Mude
helllo chirag can you tel me how the procedure is -- kishore Naik Mude

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2012, 4:33 a.m. EDT
hello kishore,
First of all i would like to know whether your coil is multi turn or single turn?
If you are using AC/DC module then go for magnetic field solution and the you will find the option for single turn or multiturn. and set as per your requirement and check for all parameters in setting window. you may find it,.
I am not sure whether this answer helps you or not, but I done by this way.
Good luck
Chirag
hello kishore, First of all i would like to know whether your coil is multi turn or single turn? If you are using AC/DC module then go for magnetic field solution and the you will find the option for single turn or multiturn. and set as per your requirement and check for all parameters in setting window. you may find it,. I am not sure whether this answer helps you or not, but I done by this way. Good luck Chirag

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2012, 4:39 a.m. EDT

thanks chirag ....i find it from AC/DC coil ....i am simulating the two coils which are parallel to each other and there is a gap between the two coils and medium is air ...should i apply excitement of single turn coil to both coils ...i am doing so ..i dont know it is right or wrong and another thing is should i give infinite elements to the coils
pls suggest
thanks in advance
--
kishore Naik Mude
thanks chirag ....i find it from AC/DC coil ....i am simulating the two coils which are parallel to each other and there is a gap between the two coils and medium is air ...should i apply excitement of single turn coil to both coils ...i am doing so ..i dont know it is right or wrong and another thing is should i give infinite elements to the coils pls suggest thanks in advance -- kishore Naik Mude

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.