Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time dependent EM field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all

I am trying to model heating induced by laser beam when it shines on the material.

So when my laser beam falls on the sample, the electric field interaction with the material will be governed by dispersion relation (n-k-lambda relation). It will dissipate heat in the material and this heat could be used as a heat source for my heat transfer problem. I am able to solve this problem in the frequency domain using stationary solver.

However in the real world my laser is shining on the material for a finite time only i.e. if I am using pulsed laser it will cause heating within few nano-seconds time frame or if I am using a continuous wave laser it will shine on the material for say few seconds only.

I have tried adding a time dependent step to my model in frequency domain and also modified my constant E-field by multiplying it with a time dependent analytically function. Basically this function is a triangular shape pulse which is active only for 25 ns (pulse width of my laser). If I try to solve this it results in error.

Could anyone please help me out in defining the problem correctly or is there an example problem I could refer to?

Thanks.

0 Replies Last Post Sep 27, 2012, 7:34 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ashish Bhatia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.