Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Maxwell capacitance calculation using stationary source sweep study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to obtain a maxwell capacitance matrix of order (400x400) for my COMSOL model (in 2d-Axi geometry). While I run my simulation on a system with 16 GB RAM size, it is showing out of memory error. Even the same error is showing in a system having 64 GB RAM. I have used extremely coarse mesh in my model. Is there anything else that needs to be set in order to get the higher-order Maxwell matrix? Is there a limit to how big the maxwell matrix can be that COMSOL can calculate? So, how much RAM would be needed to get the same-sized Maxwell matrix?

Can someone please figure out what to do?

2 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2023, 9:08 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 19, 2023, 7:23 p.m. EDT

I suggest you post your .mph file to the forum to allow others to see what kinds of issues you are facing here. Meanwhile, if you are running out of RAM, then (1) consider reducing your element discretization to "linear" if it is not there already, and (2) consider using an iterative rather than direct solver, if you are not doing so already.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I suggest you post your .mph file to the forum to allow others to see what kinds of issues you are facing here. Meanwhile, if you are running out of RAM, then (1) consider reducing your element discretization to "linear" if it is not there already, and (2) consider using an iterative rather than direct solver, if you are not doing so already.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 19, 2023, 9:08 p.m. EDT

Also consider whether symmetry or periodicity can be used to reduce the size of the problem.

I am curious to see the problem that requires that large a number of electrodes.

Also consider whether symmetry or periodicity can be used to reduce the size of the problem. I am curious to see the problem that requires that large a number of electrodes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.