Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnetic heating of hemispherical shell

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm very new to COMSOL, and I'm creating what I feel like should be a fairly simple model in COMSOL 6.1 so I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. I want to simulate a hemispherical copper shell, place some RF source a distance away, hit the shell with the source, and measure the temperature response. Given that the skin depth of the shell is much less than the characteristic length, the impedance boundary condition should be applicable and I don't expect much (if any) temperature increase in the shell.

I have created the copper shell, a rectangular port, and a spherical boundary around the shell and port that is filled with air. I'm considering 1 kW power and a 2.45 GHz source initially, just for the proof-of-principle part of the model (an image of the geometry and defined port are attached).

My question is in how to define the boundary conditions and measure the temperature at the center of the hemispherical shell. I tried defining the shell with the impedance boundary condition, but it says not applicable.

Is there a different boundary condition I should be using? Or should I not be defining the material of the hemispherical shell as copper, and solely defining it with the impedance boundary condition?

Finally, I've tried defining a 3D Cut Point at (0,0,0) (which is the center of the hemispherical shell), but the results give no temperature. Not a constant temperature, the graph is just blank. I've attached my model with the mesh and solution cleared and would appreciate any help that can be provided.

2 Replies Last Post Apr 25, 2023, 3:08 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 25, 2023, 11:38 a.m. EDT

Hi,

I fixed the temperature plot issue, so now I just need help with the boundary condition/assignment issue.

Thanks again for any help/advice.

Hi, I fixed the temperature plot issue, so now I just need help with the boundary condition/assignment issue. Thanks again for any help/advice.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago Apr 25, 2023, 3:08 p.m. EDT

Did you intend that your outer sphere be a perfect electrical conductor? Your microwave source is also rather strange (and too coarsely meshed, among other issues). What kind of microwave source are you trying to represent? Note that if your source is intended to be a waveguide aperture, then there are better ways to specify it (take a look at examples in the Application Library). Anyway, you seem to be trying to explore the heating of a hemispherical shell of copper (or perhaps the air next to the copper?) suspended inside a too-small spherical microwave oven (but with walls that conduct better than the copper??), along with a floating-in-space microwave source (which also seems small, when one considers the RF wavelength at 2.45 GHz). Is all that what you intended to study?

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Did you intend that your outer sphere be a perfect electrical conductor? Your microwave source is also rather strange (and too coarsely meshed, among other issues). What kind of microwave source are you trying to represent? Note that if your source is intended to be a waveguide aperture, then there are better ways to specify it (take a look at examples in the Application Library). Anyway, you seem to be trying to explore the heating of a hemispherical shell of copper (or perhaps the air next to the copper?) suspended inside a too-small spherical microwave oven (but with walls that conduct better than the copper??), along with a floating-in-space microwave source (which also seems small, when one considers the RF wavelength at 2.45 GHz). Is all that what you intended to study?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.