Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple Reflectivity/Transmission calculation for RF Air/Glass boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello.

I am an absolute beginner to COMSOL and am hoping to eventually use it to simulate some nanoparticle scattering effects for solar cell applications.

I have built a very simple model consisting of an Air - Glass - Air geometry and have excited a wave at a port on one of the Air sides. I've included PML and a suitable mesh. I see that the wave propogates through the air, into the glass (wavelength reduces by a half as n = 2.05 in glass) and back out into the air.

I would like to know a good method of proving the well known Fresnel equations for Reflectivity (n1-n2)/(n1+n2) mod all squared.

So far I have done line integrations at each boundary looking at Power Averages, and Ez, but I am not getting data that arrives at my calculated answers. Can anyone recommend a strategy for proving that the intensity of the wave obeys the Reflection/Transmission values calculated by hand?

Many thanks.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 22, 2012, 6:33 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2012, 1:40 a.m. EST
Hi

What about taking a look at the model library, i.e. "Fresnel equations" that should be a good starter. You have also many models on the model gallery on the main COMSOL web site

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi What about taking a look at the model library, i.e. "Fresnel equations" that should be a good starter. You have also many models on the model gallery on the main COMSOL web site -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2012, 6:33 a.m. EST
Hi

Thanks for that tip. I had a look through the model documentation, but I can't see how it can help me with my problem. They include a plot of reflectance/transmission but it says they just plot Ey data. That doesn't really fit my model as I have a number of wave oscillations on each side of the glass slide.

I still don't really know what is the best parameter to look for to prove Fresnel equations. Any other ideas?

Cheers.
Hi Thanks for that tip. I had a look through the model documentation, but I can't see how it can help me with my problem. They include a plot of reflectance/transmission but it says they just plot Ey data. That doesn't really fit my model as I have a number of wave oscillations on each side of the glass slide. I still don't really know what is the best parameter to look for to prove Fresnel equations. Any other ideas? Cheers.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.