Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model residual thin film stresses as a boundary condition

Christian Dahl-Petersen

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Forum,

I'm trying to model a thin Nitride film on top of a "thicker" silicon membrane, however, I cannot seem to find the right way of modelling the initial (tensile in-plane) stress in the thin film. Tried the Boundary load boundary conditions but it does not seem to produce the right results.

Best Regards
Christain

3 Replies Last Post Nov 26, 2012, 12:52 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 23, 2012, 7:45 a.m. EST
Hi

My way is to use temperature induced stress (as othen the stress is build up like that), see the model library example

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My way is to use temperature induced stress (as othen the stress is build up like that), see the model library example -- Good luck Ivar

Christian Dahl-Petersen

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 24, 2012, 2:24 p.m. EST
Hmm, my problem is that its not thermally build stress (well to be true it is thermally build, however, that is before the modelled device is made). So i need to apply it somehow as a boundary in order not to mesh the verythin film. Isnt that possible in COMSOL...?
Hmm, my problem is that its not thermally build stress (well to be true it is thermally build, however, that is before the modelled device is made). So i need to apply it somehow as a boundary in order not to mesh the verythin film. Isnt that possible in COMSOL...?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2012, 12:52 a.m. EST
Hi

have you checked the model library layered_plate ? For me this is the cleanest way to get a full stress tensor correctly aligned

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the model library layered_plate ? For me this is the cleanest way to get a full stress tensor correctly aligned -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.