What is the number of generated random numbers after establishing a random function

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I used the random function function to establish a random normal function rn1(), then set up a parameter rn1 (x, y, z), and then established a geometric model to study this parameter. During this process, how do I know the number of random numbers I generate

1 Reply Last Post Jan 6, 2024, 11:59 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 months ago Jan 6, 2024, 11:59 a.m. EST
Updated: 4 months ago Jan 6, 2024, 12:01 p.m. EST

Interpretation 1: I'm fairly sure that the number of random numbers that are output matches the number of points {the (x,y,z) values} that you feed it. Think of it like any other function, e.g., w=sin(q). If you evaluate that at N values of q, you will obtain N values of w (not necessarily unique values, of course). Does that help?

Interpretation 2: Did you actually mean to ask how many random numbers will Comsol's random number function generate (with a fixed seed, or maybe a random seed) before it starts to exhibit non-random behavior? That is a much more subtle question. I don't know. Here is a generic discussion, if you are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation .

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Interpretation 1: I'm fairly sure that the number of random numbers that are output matches the number of points {the (x,y,z) values} that you feed it. Think of it like any other function, e.g., w=sin(q). If you evaluate that at *N* values of q, you will obtain *N* values of w (not necessarily unique values, of course). Does that help? Interpretation 2: Did you actually mean to ask how many random numbers will Comsol's random number function generate (with a fixed seed, or maybe a random seed) *before* it starts to exhibit *non-random* behavior? That is a much more subtle question. I don't know. Here is a generic discussion, if you are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation .

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.