Heat transfer in thin aluminum casing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like some guidance on how to set up heat transfer for a thin aluminum casing.

My model has two solid blocks that generate heat. They are enclosed in a 1mm casing. I would like model the casing using a thin layer or shell layer physics instead of modeling the geometry of the casing to prevent working with very small meshes.

I am struggling to set up the conduction and convection between the solid blocks and the casing and the casing with the environment

My questions are:

1. should I use the "Thin Layer" under Heat transfer in solids or the physics "Heat Transfer in Shells"?

2. I don't see an option to establish conduction between the layer/shell and the casing. The encased solid blocks show up as "insulated".

3. With the thin layer, I don't see an option to set up convective flux over a boundary only over edges.

Thank you,

Renzo

0 Replies Last Post Mar 7, 2024, 10:22 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Renzo Benavides

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.