Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Absorbing boundary condition for transient wave propagation problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I am wondering if I can define an absorbing boundary condition for a transient ultrasonic wave propagation problem (let's say in a 2D plane strain transient module). The option certainly doesn't come up in the boundary conditions pulldown menu. I wonder if there is a trick.

Thanks!

Deb

8 Replies Last Post Sep 6, 2017, 6:56 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 4, 2013, 3:23 p.m. EST
use PML
use PML

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 4, 2013, 6:49 p.m. EST
Hi,

What you are looking for is the "Low-Reflecting Boundary" which should be available for 2D Plain Strain as long as you have either the Structural Mechanics, MEMS or Acoustics Module. A PML can only be used in frequency domain analyses.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, What you are looking for is the "Low-Reflecting Boundary" which should be available for 2D Plain Strain as long as you have either the Structural Mechanics, MEMS or Acoustics Module. A PML can only be used in frequency domain analyses. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 16, 2016, 6:09 p.m. EST
Hi Henrik,

How do you apply PML in structural mechanics module? I am doing a modal analysis and only see 'Low reflection boundary' option.

Thanks,
Gyani
Hi Henrik, How do you apply PML in structural mechanics module? I am doing a modal analysis and only see 'Low reflection boundary' option. Thanks, Gyani

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 17, 2016, 2:19 a.m. EST
Hi,

You select a domain as PML under Component->Definitions.

Regards.
Henrik
Hi, You select a domain as PML under Component->Definitions. Regards. Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 17, 2016, 7:19 p.m. EST
Thanks very much!
Thanks very much!

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 27, 2016, 12:41 a.m. EDT

Hi,

What you are looking for is the "Low-Reflecting Boundary" which should be available for 2D Plain Strain as long as you have either the Structural Mechanics, MEMS or Acoustics Module. A PML can only be used in frequency domain analyses.

Regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

It is true that the PML is only available in frequency domain analyses. Could you please explain the reason? And what should I deal with the reflection by the boundary if I work on the transient process, like pulse scattering? Thank you very much.

Best,
Shengli
[QUOTE] Hi, What you are looking for is the "Low-Reflecting Boundary" which should be available for 2D Plain Strain as long as you have either the Structural Mechanics, MEMS or Acoustics Module. A PML can only be used in frequency domain analyses. Regards, Henrik [/QUOTE] Hi Henrik, It is true that the PML is only available in frequency domain analyses. Could you please explain the reason? And what should I deal with the reflection by the boundary if I work on the transient process, like pulse scattering? Thank you very much. Best, Shengli

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 6, 2017, 6:22 a.m. EDT

Hi

I can't found the PML option even i selected Definition under the Component
--
Denny Bhatara
Physics Departement, Faculty of Mathematic and Nature Science
Bogor Agriculture University, Indoesia (ID)
Hi I can't found the PML option even i selected Definition under the Component -- Denny Bhatara Physics Departement, Faculty of Mathematic and Nature Science Bogor Agriculture University, Indoesia (ID)

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 6, 2017, 6:56 a.m. EDT

Hi

I can't found the PML option even i selected Definition under the Component
--
Denny Bhatara

Solved. Just right click on the Defiinition (Component -> Definition -> Right Click).

--
Denny Bhatara
[QUOTE] Hi I can't found the PML option even i selected Definition under the Component -- Denny Bhatara Physics Departement, Faculty of Mathematic and Nature Science Bogor Agriculture University, Indoesia (ID) [/QUOTE] Solved. Just right click on the Defiinition (Component -> Definition -> Right Click). -- Denny Bhatara Physics Departement, Faculty of Mathematic and Nature Science Bogor Agriculture University, Indoesia (ID)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.