Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametric sweep solution is lost after non-convergence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm running a time-dependent simulation, using electric currents and solid heat transfer physics. I'm ramping up the current with time, which heats the material. I have included an effect, which makes the current increase with temperature. At one point, the temperature and current will have a positive feedback effect, which should increase the temperature to infinity, and thus I get non-convergence at some timestep. This is expected. I need the solution before the non-convergence.

Now, when doing regular simulations (without parametric sweep), the solution is kept, but when doing a parametric sweep (e.g. over a range of geometries), the solutions are not kept when non-convergence occurrs.

Currently I'm doing every simulation without a parametric sweep, find the timestep when it doesn't converge and, create stop-conditions for those timesteps and then run the parametric sweep to get all the data conveniently. This is inconvenient and basically means I have to simulate everything twice.

Any ideas? How to keep the non-converged solutions in parametric sweeps?

1 Reply Last Post Jan 14, 2015, 2:41 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Jan 14, 2015, 2:41 p.m. EST
For anybody else having similar troubles:

I made a stop condition with the timestep variable so that the solver stops the solution before non-convergence and all the solutions are kept.

e.g. my stop condition (the t>25 is because at the start, my solver was also using small timesteps)

t>25[s]&&timestep<0.0002[s]
For anybody else having similar troubles: I made a stop condition with the timestep variable so that the solver stops the solution before non-convergence and all the solutions are kept. e.g. my stop condition (the t>25 is because at the start, my solver was also using small timesteps) t>25[s]&×tep

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.