Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A convergence problem in a coupling problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am now working on a couping problem including 3 modes: n-s eq., Brinkman eq.(to describe the convection in porous media), and conduction and convection eq.. As the Reynolds number in the n-s eq. was quite large, I tried hard to get a converged solution of the velocity field. In soluting the couped problem, I chose the time dependent segregated solver: UMFPACK for the n-s eq., BiCGSTab for the Brinkman eq., and GMRES for the conduction and convection eq.. Then, something strange came up. When I soluted any single one of the three equations, the solver returned a convergenced solution. However, when I soluted them together, the solver never converged. Could anyone tell me why is this and what I can do now? Thank u!

2 Replies Last Post May 20, 2010, 5:49 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 20, 2010, 5:10 p.m. EDT
post the comsol file..
post the comsol file..

Posted: 1 decade ago May 20, 2010, 5:49 p.m. EDT
Using a segregated solver also adds to the instability of the problem compared to solving all at the same time.
Using a segregated solver also adds to the instability of the problem compared to solving all at the same time.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.