Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Combining Porous Media and Multi-Phase Flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model a highly viscous resin permeating a bundle of woven fibers, as in a liquid composite molding process. Because there are literally hundreds of individual fibers in each fiber bundle, it is not realistic to simulate each fiber individually. My current solution is to treat the fiber bundle as a porous medium. I also need to model the transient case of the resin permeating through this fiber bundle, which is initially filled with air. This is the case in liquid composite molding processes, where the woven fiber bundles are initially placed in an air-filled mold and then resin is forced into the mold and encapsulates the fibers, pushing all the air out of the mold. My question really boils down to how can I combine the 2-phase flow module (phase-field) with the porous media (Brinkman equation) module within COMSOL? As I understand it, the 2-phase flow module is already coupled with the Navier-Stokes equation. Is there any way to change this and apply the phase-field method to the brinkman equations? If not, are there any alternate recommendations as to how I could simulate this flow situation using COMSOL Ver. 4?

-Caleb

0 Replies Last Post May 13, 2010, 4:04 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Caleb DeValve

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.