Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Open old files in V4.0

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody, i'm just starting to use the new version of comsol (V4.0), i was wondering if it's possile in some way to open files made by version 3.5 or if i must pass by V3.5a
I really don't understand how it is possible to upgrade to a version without giving the chance to use files generated with the previous one!!!
Anyway...i use comsol since 7 years, my first comments on the new version...you did a mess! you had not to change so much!! Very hard to find back and run all the analyses options....i think i'm gonna use V3.5 for a long time! A software should be updated not completely changed!!
Sorry but maybe you found your first disappointed user!
Regards,
Andrea Arena

5 Replies Last Post May 16, 2010, 1:42 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 14, 2010, 3:02 p.m. EDT
Hi Andrea,

First, yes, you can open the old files in the new one. But, I've to tell you, it is only useful to see how the old things are implemented in the new version. That much so far for me. You can not click run and have it run. So, partly yes.

Regarding the mess: It is version 4, so it is ok to have it so much different, considering the amount of changes in the "good" direction and rewriting all the messy code left from version 1 femlab. I can assure you, you will have enough time to learn the new comsol until you will have a functional working comsol 4 to replace your old comsol 3.5a; supposedly v4.0a or 4.1 for the cool more complex physics.
Hi Andrea, First, yes, you can open the old files in the new one. But, I've to tell you, it is only useful to see how the old things are implemented in the new version. That much so far for me. You can not click run and have it run. So, partly yes. Regarding the mess: It is version 4, so it is ok to have it so much different, considering the amount of changes in the "good" direction and rewriting all the messy code left from version 1 femlab. I can assure you, you will have enough time to learn the new comsol until you will have a functional working comsol 4 to replace your old comsol 3.5a; supposedly v4.0a or 4.1 for the cool more complex physics.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 14, 2010, 3:12 p.m. EDT
Hi

I would rather suggest to save the geometry in older version, print out the report and rebuild it on V4 as there are so many things new. But you should read out the release notes, as everything is not yet implemented, and everything will proably not be, as there are new ways, and cleaner approaches.

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar

Hi I would rather suggest to save the geometry in older version, print out the report and rebuild it on V4 as there are so many things new. But you should read out the release notes, as everything is not yet implemented, and everything will proably not be, as there are new ways, and cleaner approaches. Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 15, 2010, 3:09 p.m. EDT
Yes, It is really painful. Each time COMSOL upgrades, older files are unable to open in new version! However, I expect the reverse could happen, i.e. new files (made in 4.0) cannot be opened in older versions- but atleast old files should continue to work in the upgraded versions. Otherwise, either, we have to re-build the model or have old version ready to use.
This is a point which may be added in a list posted by Danial?

Regards
Naveed
Yes, It is really painful. Each time COMSOL upgrades, older files are unable to open in new version! However, I expect the reverse could happen, i.e. new files (made in 4.0) cannot be opened in older versions- but atleast old files should continue to work in the upgraded versions. Otherwise, either, we have to re-build the model or have old version ready to use. This is a point which may be added in a list posted by Danial? Regards Naveed

Posted: 1 decade ago May 15, 2010, 7:04 p.m. EDT
Hey, get's more fun. Comsol 4.0 might not open a 4.0 file.

I have a fluid model with periodic boundary conditions and some identity conditions. Converges to a nice answer. Everything good, even if I press save. But if I close the file and re-open then it gives an error message, it cant compute sequences, reset history gives a "value lenght zero", all sorts of wierdness. So then i delete my funky boundary conditions, recreate them, model now converges again. But once I save/close it then process repeats.

Likely this is because my boundary conditions are in fact flawed somehow, but it is intriguing. Comsol support looking into it....
Hey, get's more fun. Comsol 4.0 might not open a 4.0 file. I have a fluid model with periodic boundary conditions and some identity conditions. Converges to a nice answer. Everything good, even if I press save. But if I close the file and re-open then it gives an error message, it cant compute sequences, reset history gives a "value lenght zero", all sorts of wierdness. So then i delete my funky boundary conditions, recreate them, model now converges again. But once I save/close it then process repeats. Likely this is because my boundary conditions are in fact flawed somehow, but it is intriguing. Comsol support looking into it....

Posted: 1 decade ago May 16, 2010, 1:42 a.m. EDT

Hey, get's more fun. Comsol 4.0 might not open a 4.0 file.

I have a fluid model with periodic boundary conditions and some identity conditions. Converges to a nice answer. Everything good, even if I press save. But if I close the file and re-open then it gives an error message, it cant compute sequences, reset history gives a "value lenght zero", all sorts of wierdness. So then i delete my funky boundary conditions, recreate them, model now converges again. But once I save/close it then process repeats.

Likely this is because my boundary conditions are in fact flawed somehow, but it is intriguing. Comsol support looking into it....

I had a similiar problem, but a bit more severe (crashing). They told me they'll release a hotfix till this weekend. Fingers crossed.
[QUOTE] Hey, get's more fun. Comsol 4.0 might not open a 4.0 file. I have a fluid model with periodic boundary conditions and some identity conditions. Converges to a nice answer. Everything good, even if I press save. But if I close the file and re-open then it gives an error message, it cant compute sequences, reset history gives a "value lenght zero", all sorts of wierdness. So then i delete my funky boundary conditions, recreate them, model now converges again. But once I save/close it then process repeats. Likely this is because my boundary conditions are in fact flawed somehow, but it is intriguing. Comsol support looking into it.... [/QUOTE] I had a similiar problem, but a bit more severe (crashing). They told me they'll release a hotfix till this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.