Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetocaloric effect

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am currently working on my bachelor project, which involves the numerical analysis of the magnetocaloric effect (MCE). For those of you who are not familiar with this effect: When a suitable material is placed in a magnetic field, a small increase in temperature will occur in this material. Consequently, when the material is removed from the same magnetic field, the temperature of the material will drop. This effect is not built in in the COMSOL (5.0) package, and I probably need to model it using PDEs or ODEs. The governing equations for the MCE are:

or

or

In these equations, T = temperature, t = time, M = magnetisation, H = magnetic field strength, Cp = specific heat, Q = heat and is the permeability of free space. All these equations describe the same effect, but are rewritten in some kind.

My 2d model currently consists of 2 simple permanent magnets, creating the magnetic field. The magnetocaloric material is positioned in the magnetic field created by those two magnets.

I'd like to ask if someone is able to give me a push in the right direction on which equation is best to use and how to model this in COMSOL, in such way that an increase in temperature is seen in the magnetocaloric domain.

Thanks in advance,

Dirk oude Egbrink

1 Reply Last Post May 10, 2017, 10:21 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dirk Oude Egbrink

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago May 10, 2017, 10:21 a.m. EDT
Hello

This issue has been a topic without answers for quite a long time, although simple to solve in theory. The best way to simulate the magnetocaloric effect is by changing the temperature abruptly, i.e. in an adiabatic process, with a value that depends on temperature ∆Tad(T). Note that there is no need to include magnetism in the model.

Numerically, we can stop the numerical calculations in the instant right before the magnetic field application/removal, add/subtract ∆Tad(T) in the solution and use the result as initial condition of a subsequent simulation. Doing this repeatedly, one can compute, e.g., a magnetic refrigerator. But here is the complication: I do not see a way to implement this process: do some manipulation on the temperature at the end of one simulation and use it as initial condition of a next one. Can anyone give a hint to do so? It is quite simple but seems difficult to implement on COMSOL...

Thanks in advance
Hello This issue has been a topic without answers for quite a long time, although simple to solve in theory. The best way to simulate the magnetocaloric effect is by changing the temperature abruptly, i.e. in an adiabatic process, with a value that depends on temperature ∆Tad(T). Note that there is no need to include magnetism in the model. Numerically, we can stop the numerical calculations in the instant right before the magnetic field application/removal, add/subtract ∆Tad(T) in the solution and use the result as initial condition of a subsequent simulation. Doing this repeatedly, one can compute, e.g., a magnetic refrigerator. But here is the complication: I do not see a way to implement this process: do some manipulation on the temperature at the end of one simulation and use it as initial condition of a next one. Can anyone give a hint to do so? It is quite simple but seems difficult to implement on COMSOL... Thanks in advance

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.