Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to integrate over a specified range of meshes in a subdomain?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am trying to integrate for a subsection of a subdomain. The fem structure is already solved so I want to do that from the fem data. How shall I specify a range of meshes to integrate over?

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Jul 30, 2010, 11:54 a.m. EDT
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 27, 2010, 3:37 a.m. EDT
Hi Linlin,

I suggest defining a support function k(x,y) that is one only in your desired subsection and elsewhere zero and then integrate \int u(x,y)*k(x,y) dV. (assuming that u is your desired variable to be integrated.

Sven
Hi Linlin, I suggest defining a support function k(x,y) that is one only in your desired subsection and elsewhere zero and then integrate \int u(x,y)*k(x,y) dV. (assuming that u is your desired variable to be integrated. Sven

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 27, 2010, 8:49 a.m. EDT
Hi lili, Hi Sven,

I think I have an other solution.

ie, You can transform each mesh in one subdomain. Then, you use the "postint" function for good subdomains.

I think this solution is very time and memory consuming (specialy for fine mesh), but you don't have to create the space function "k(x,y)".

otherwise, [mesh1,mesh2]= postint ( fem, ' (x>...)*(y>...)*( variable ) ' , ' (x>...)*(y>...)*(var)' , edim , ..., dl, ....).

I don't know how to specify directly a range of mesh to integrate over. There is the "meshintegrate" function but it integrate over simplex (if I remember correctly).

to change each mesh in subdomain (just after meshinit)

el=get(fem.mesh,'el'); % Index des vertex{1},edge{2},face{3},mesh{4}
p=get(fem.mesh,'p'); % coordonnées des noeuds
tol=0.0001;

% Modification de ce maillage %
A=find(p);
input4=[];
for i=1:length(A)-1
in4=['el{4}.elem==',num2str(A(i))];
input4=[input4 in4 ,'|' ];
end
input4=[input4,'el{4}.elem==',num2str(A(end))];
evalc(['B4=find((',input4,'))']);
C4=(el{4}.elem);C4(B4)=0;D4=find(sum(C4,1)==0);
el{4}.dom(D4)=(max(el{4}.dom)+1:max(el{4}.dom)+size(D4,2))';

fem.mesh = femmesh(p,el);
meshexport('meshexp.mphtxt',fem.mesh);
mim = meshimport('meshexp.mphtxt');
fem.mesh = mim{1};
fem = rmfield(fem,'geom');

% Paramétrage du modèle %
fem = mesh2geom(fem,'srcdata','MESH','destfield',{'geom','mesh'});

Sven, do you think this solution is a good solution to construct an inverse problem for the Electrical Resistivity Tomography method. ie : I transform each mesh corresponding to inversion cell. I compute sensitivities (adjoint state method) with the postint function for each inversion cell. I compute the inverse solution, and finaly, I change electrical resistivity of my model.

Thanks,

Yannick
Hi lili, Hi Sven, I think I have an other solution. ie, You can transform each mesh in one subdomain. Then, you use the "postint" function for good subdomains. I think this solution is very time and memory consuming (specialy for fine mesh), but you don't have to create the space function "k(x,y)". otherwise, [mesh1,mesh2]= postint ( fem, ' (x>...)*(y>...)*( variable ) ' , ' (x>...)*(y>...)*(var)' , edim , ..., dl, ....). I don't know how to specify directly a range of mesh to integrate over. There is the "meshintegrate" function but it integrate over simplex (if I remember correctly). to change each mesh in subdomain (just after meshinit) el=get(fem.mesh,'el'); % Index des vertex{1},edge{2},face{3},mesh{4} p=get(fem.mesh,'p'); % coordonnées des noeuds tol=0.0001; % Modification de ce maillage % A=find(p); input4=[]; for i=1:length(A)-1 in4=['el{4}.elem==',num2str(A(i))]; input4=[input4 in4 ,'|' ]; end input4=[input4,'el{4}.elem==',num2str(A(end))]; evalc(['B4=find((',input4,'))']); C4=(el{4}.elem);C4(B4)=0;D4=find(sum(C4,1)==0); el{4}.dom(D4)=(max(el{4}.dom)+1:max(el{4}.dom)+size(D4,2))'; fem.mesh = femmesh(p,el); meshexport('meshexp.mphtxt',fem.mesh); mim = meshimport('meshexp.mphtxt'); fem.mesh = mim{1}; fem = rmfield(fem,'geom'); % Paramétrage du modèle % fem = mesh2geom(fem,'srcdata','MESH','destfield',{'geom','mesh'}); Sven, do you think this solution is a good solution to construct an inverse problem for the Electrical Resistivity Tomography method. ie : I transform each mesh corresponding to inversion cell. I compute sensitivities (adjoint state method) with the postint function for each inversion cell. I compute the inverse solution, and finaly, I change electrical resistivity of my model. Thanks, Yannick

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 30, 2010, 11:54 a.m. EDT

Hi LinLin,

I have modified the meshintegration function to create the function MailleInt :

The output variable is a vector. The first element of this vector equal the integration of your postevaluate quantity over a the first mesh of your model. The second element ....

Then you just have to sum integrate quantities over specified range of meshes.

I hope this function will help you.

Yannick Fargier

Hi LinLin, I have modified the meshintegration function to create the function MailleInt : The output variable is a vector. The first element of this vector equal the integration of your postevaluate quantity over a the first mesh of your model. The second element .... Then you just have to sum integrate quantities over specified range of meshes. I hope this function will help you. Yannick Fargier

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.