Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Building a generic ceramic capacitor model for ACDC analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am looking to simulate a circuit (in 3D) that has several ceramic caps in it. I am trying to model a problem I am having with parts becoming hot. I would like to do a model of a ceramic cap that is pretty simple. An actual capacitor has quite a few plates in it and modeling it (especially with 18 caps in my circuit to simulate) will take up a lot of computing time. Besides the caps, I also am modeling inductors out of copper tubing, which themselves are quite the chore. Back to the caps though. How do I go about building a generic cap that is an ideal electrical capacitor but is contained within a ceramic box that goes onto a PCB? What I wanted to try was to use a box, assign it a value of capacitance, and then go from there. I have no idea how to do that let alone if that is the right approach. Freq is 40MHz.

My intent was to simulate the circuit with ideal electrical caps within a ceramic box, mounted on a PCB alongside some inductors. The 2nd problem is how to interface ideal parts with PCB metal and how the two will work together. I have read and worked the example on "An inductor and amplifier" file but it just really skims over what I am trying to do. This is a complicated problem but I am just trying to simplify the issue into simpler blocks.

0 Replies Last Post Jul 29, 2010, 3:52 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dennis Brown

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.