Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error in view factor calculation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently doing a 2D simulation in COMSOL 5.1 of a rectangular cavity enclosed by 1D surfaces. The cavity has a length of 1 m and height 0.1 m. The top and bottom surfaces are diffusive surfaces with Temperature =353.15 K , epslon=0.5 and Temperature=293.15 K, epson 0.8 respectively.The lateral sides are assumed to be diffusive mirrors .The surface to surface radiation physics is used. I want to calculate the view factors with respect to the various surfaces and not the ambient. I have defined also 4 sets of variables (variables1, variables 2, variables 3, variables 4). Within the sets i define variables "up","down","left" and "right". In each set i define only 1 boundary and for the position it represents (lets say its the upper surface) i write under the respective variable that it is suppose to calculate rad.J for that surface (so for upper surface, the variable "up" would have rad.J as expression while maintaining the others expressed as 0). The same is done for the other surfaces. Also for each surface i define an integral coupling . intop_up, intop_down, intop_left, intop_right for the upper, lower, left and right boundaries respectively.

I then calculate the view factor F_up_down and it gives me a result of 0.91058. I used the following expression to do so (under global evaluation):

intop_down(comp1.rad.radopu(up,0))/intop_up(up)

But then I try to calculate F_down_up using the following expression:

intop_up(comp1.rad.radopd(0,down))/intop_down(down)

and i get 0. Can someone tell me whats wrong? Also how do I calculate it for the lateral walls?

Also is there a possibility to calculate a sort of view factor varying with position along a surface, considering the radiosity of a given point on a surface and not all of it?

3 Replies Last Post Jun 19, 2015, 4:44 p.m. EDT
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 19, 2015, 4:54 a.m. EDT
Hello,

I would like to look into that, can you supply your model?

Best regards,
Sven
Hello, I would like to look into that, can you supply your model? Best regards, Sven

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 19, 2015, 5:21 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Attached I forward you the file .

Best regards,

Jorge Malaquias
Hi, Attached I forward you the file . Best regards, Jorge Malaquias

Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 19, 2015, 4:44 p.m. EDT
Dear Jorge

there was no file attached, maybe you missed it.
By the way, I think an even better way would be to handle your question in a regular support case,
so please send us the question with file to support@comsol.com

Kind regards,
Sven
Dear Jorge there was no file attached, maybe you missed it. By the way, I think an even better way would be to handle your question in a regular support case, so please send us the question with file to support@comsol.com Kind regards, Sven

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.