Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AC/DC module - joule heating - contact resistance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there COMSOL users
My issue is straightforward:
I describe in my model a typical resistive heating by current passage at the contact of two surfaces (axial symmetry 2D).
In the boundary conditions, I've associated a contact resistance to my contact pair (the interface between my subdomains).

QUESTION: I would like to know the physical meaning of the so called thickness 'd' , which in other tutorials is left equal to 1m without, apparently, any relation to the geometry.

Thank you very much

3 Replies Last Post Aug 25, 2010, 5:36 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 24, 2010, 2:41 p.m. EDT
Hi

probably its straightforward, but to allow us other to better understand you could you pls define COMSOL version and which of the seveal "thickness" you are referring to, in which window, defining whixh physics/application mode and/or boundary condition

it would help to give you a reasonnable answer ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi probably its straightforward, but to allow us other to better understand you could you pls define COMSOL version and which of the seveal "thickness" you are referring to, in which window, defining whixh physics/application mode and/or boundary condition it would help to give you a reasonnable answer ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 25, 2010, 3:59 a.m. EDT
Of course

Version 3.5.
In module: Conductive Media DC:
Menu Physics -> Boundary settings: I select the contact pair and I assign Contact Resistance as boundary condition;
two values are now to be inputed: the electric conductivity sigma and the thickness d.
I am referring to this thickness value.

Thank you very much
Of course Version 3.5. In module: Conductive Media DC: Menu Physics -> Boundary settings: I select the contact pair and I assign Contact Resistance as boundary condition; two values are now to be inputed: the electric conductivity sigma and the thickness d. I am referring to this thickness value. Thank you very much

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 25, 2010, 5:36 a.m. EDT
Hi

well the term thickness is used in different modules having slightly different meanings. In 2D (which is in fact a 3D but with the depth "z" or "thickness" set to defautl 1[m] (dependson application mode and physics though)

But for you I understand the "thickness" of being the true (but non-apparent) film thickness for you thin fim contact resistance. It's required to calculate correctly the resistivity from the bulk volumic resisitivity. So check carefully your units for all value you set in for coherent units all over

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well the term thickness is used in different modules having slightly different meanings. In 2D (which is in fact a 3D but with the depth "z" or "thickness" set to defautl 1[m] (dependson application mode and physics though) But for you I understand the "thickness" of being the true (but non-apparent) film thickness for you thin fim contact resistance. It's required to calculate correctly the resistivity from the bulk volumic resisitivity. So check carefully your units for all value you set in for coherent units all over -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.