Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is it possible to model MAGNETOSTRICTIVE materials in comsol, just like for the piezoelectric materials?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear colleagues,

In comsol, there are predefined models for the piezoelectric materials. For magnetostrictive materials, they have similar properties as the piezoelectric counterparts. However, a predefined physics for them is not available till today. Implementing the strong coupling magneto-mechanical relationship seems to be not easy. Does anyone have experience on this topic? Could you please share your skills on the magnetostrictive modeling using comsol?

For the modelers at comsol, could you please give some instructions?

Thank you very much.

A.R.

8 Replies Last Post May 4, 2017, 2:24 a.m. EDT

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 6, 2015, 8:20 p.m. EST
I have no experience with the kind of material you mentioned, but I guess it is possible to implement it in COMSOL through properly editing the equation system, i.e., modifying definitions of predefined variable and equations.

Good luck!
--
Pu, ZHANG
DTU Fotonik
I have no experience with the kind of material you mentioned, but I guess it is possible to implement it in COMSOL through properly editing the equation system, i.e., modifying definitions of predefined variable and equations. Good luck! -- Pu, ZHANG DTU Fotonik

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 7, 2015, 5:45 a.m. EST
Thanks for your reply. Let's hope someone could share their expetise ; )
Thanks for your reply. Let's hope someone could share their expetise ; )

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 8, 2015, 10:18 a.m. EST
Hi,

You can find an example in our Application Gallery:

www.comsol.com/model/nonlinear-magnetostrictive-transducer-6063

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You can find an example in our Application Gallery: http://www.comsol.com/model/nonlinear-magnetostrictive-transducer-6063 Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 9, 2015, 4:05 a.m. EST
Dear Dr. Sönnerlind,

Thank you very much for your reply. It was a nice example. Still, I have another few questions for the magnetostrictive implementation.

Let's say the magnetostrictive model is linear and can be governed by the following constitutive equations:

{S} = [c(H,T)] {T} + [d(H,T)]^t {H} ---------- (1)
{B} = [d(H,T)] {T} + [mu(H,T)] {H} ---------- (2)

where {S} is the mechanical strain, {B} magnetic flux density, {T} mechanical stress, {H} magnetic field density. [c] is compliance matrix, [d] magneto-mechanical coupling matrix, [mu] permeabilities. [*]^t denotes a transpose.

In the example you have introduced, we can implement Eq.(1). If I have well understood, it works as follows:
1) define new variables 'Lambda' in the Definitions section
2) in the Solid Mechanics -> under Linear Elastic Materials, create a initial stress and strain node and put Lambda into the initial strain tables.
Though, the example is for an axisymmetric case, I suppose for an ordinary 3D case, it works the same way.

Then, how about implementing the Eq.(2) ? Will there be some special details to pay attention to when the strong coupling is added? e.g. some settings in the solver or something like that so as to accelerate the calculations.

I would be very grateful if you could provide me with more instructions.

Regards,

A.R.
Dear Dr. Sönnerlind, Thank you very much for your reply. It was a nice example. Still, I have another few questions for the magnetostrictive implementation. Let's say the magnetostrictive model is linear and can be governed by the following constitutive equations: {S} = [c(H,T)] {T} + [d(H,T)]^t {H} ---------- (1) {B} = [d(H,T)] {T} + [mu(H,T)] {H} ---------- (2) where {S} is the mechanical strain, {B} magnetic flux density, {T} mechanical stress, {H} magnetic field density. [c] is compliance matrix, [d] magneto-mechanical coupling matrix, [mu] permeabilities. [*]^t denotes a transpose. In the example you have introduced, we can implement Eq.(1). If I have well understood, it works as follows: 1) define new variables 'Lambda' in the Definitions section 2) in the Solid Mechanics -> under Linear Elastic Materials, create a initial stress and strain node and put Lambda into the initial strain tables. Though, the example is for an axisymmetric case, I suppose for an ordinary 3D case, it works the same way. Then, how about implementing the Eq.(2) ? Will there be some special details to pay attention to when the strong coupling is added? e.g. some settings in the solver or something like that so as to accelerate the calculations. I would be very grateful if you could provide me with more instructions. Regards, A.R.

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 9, 2015, 9:02 a.m. EST
Below attached is an article talking more about the model that I am interested in.
Below attached is an article talking more about the model that I am interested in.

Posted: 8 years ago Aug 31, 2016, 12:52 p.m. EDT
Hi Amine,

I am postdoc researcher from the Ohio State University. Our group led by Prof. Dapino has been working on model magnetostrictive materials using COMSOL for more than 8 years. There are multiple methods to model magnetostrictive materials in COMSOL:

1) If you would like to model the fully-coupled, 3D, hysteretic behavior, please refer to
jim.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/02/20/1045389X14521703.abstract
iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0964-1726/20/10/105034/meta

However, these models require COMSOL 3.5a and are not efficient enough for parameter optimization.

2) If your magnetostriction and magnetization are along the same direction, please refer to
iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0964-1726/24/12/125019/pdf

This model is very accurate and efficient. I recently developed another model that incorporates mechanical, magnetic, and electrical dynamics. You could attach electrical circuit to the magnetostrictive system in COMSOL. That paper is in print now, I could send you a link whenever it becomes available.

Dan
Hi Amine, I am postdoc researcher from the Ohio State University. Our group led by Prof. Dapino has been working on model magnetostrictive materials using COMSOL for more than 8 years. There are multiple methods to model magnetostrictive materials in COMSOL: 1) If you would like to model the fully-coupled, 3D, hysteretic behavior, please refer to http://jim.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/02/20/1045389X14521703.abstract http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0964-1726/20/10/105034/meta However, these models require COMSOL 3.5a and are not efficient enough for parameter optimization. 2) If your magnetostriction and magnetization are along the same direction, please refer to http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0964-1726/24/12/125019/pdf This model is very accurate and efficient. I recently developed another model that incorporates mechanical, magnetic, and electrical dynamics. You could attach electrical circuit to the magnetostrictive system in COMSOL. That paper is in print now, I could send you a link whenever it becomes available. Dan

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Aug 31, 2016, 1:27 p.m. EDT
Hello Folks,
Starting with version 5.2a, magnetostrictive materials are available right out of the box if your license includes the AC/DC Module along with either the Structural Mechanics Module, MEMS Module, or Acoustics Module.
For a starting point on this topic, please read the release highlights:
www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Folks, Starting with version 5.2a, magnetostrictive materials are available right out of the box if your license includes the AC/DC Module along with either the Structural Mechanics Module, MEMS Module, or Acoustics Module. For a starting point on this topic, please read the release highlights: https://www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago May 4, 2017, 2:24 a.m. EDT

Hi Amine,

I am postdoc researcher from the Ohio State University. Our group led by Prof. Dapino has been working on model magnetostrictive materials using COMSOL for more than 8 years. There are multiple methods to model magnetostrictive materials in COMSOL:

1) If you would like to model the fully-coupled, 3D, hysteretic behavior, please refer to
jim.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/02/20/1045389X14521703.abstract
iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0964-1726/20/10/105034/meta

However, these models require COMSOL 3.5a and are not efficient enough for parameter optimization.

2) If your magnetostriction and magnetization are along the same direction, please refer to
iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0964-1726/24/12/125019/pdf

This model is very accurate and efficient. I recently developed another model that incorporates mechanical, magnetic, and electrical dynamics. You could attach electrical circuit to the magnetostrictive system in COMSOL. That paper is in print now, I could send you a link whenever it becomes available.

Dan

Hello, I'm also study magnetostrictive material, I want to study the nonlinear coupling stress constitutive, can you add my QQ contact 383156448 or email : sxycyzhj@sina.cn

thank you

Can you contact me QQ 383156448 I'am from china
We can talk more about it
[QUOTE] Hi Amine, I am postdoc researcher from the Ohio State University. Our group led by Prof. Dapino has been working on model magnetostrictive materials using COMSOL for more than 8 years. There are multiple methods to model magnetostrictive materials in COMSOL: 1) If you would like to model the fully-coupled, 3D, hysteretic behavior, please refer to http://jim.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/02/20/1045389X14521703.abstract http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0964-1726/20/10/105034/meta However, these models require COMSOL 3.5a and are not efficient enough for parameter optimization. 2) If your magnetostriction and magnetization are along the same direction, please refer to http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0964-1726/24/12/125019/pdf This model is very accurate and efficient. I recently developed another model that incorporates mechanical, magnetic, and electrical dynamics. You could attach electrical circuit to the magnetostrictive system in COMSOL. That paper is in print now, I could send you a link whenever it becomes available. Dan [/QUOTE] Hello, I'm also study magnetostrictive material, I want to study the nonlinear coupling stress constitutive, can you add my QQ contact 383156448 or email : sxycyzhj@sina.cn thank you Can you contact me QQ 383156448 I'am from china We can talk more about it

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.