Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Helix does not seem to be meshable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi again,

I have two very small helixes. whenever I try to mesh them, it gives me an error that comsol can't mesh their faces. it does not matter how small I made the mesh - even with a maximum object size of 0.07mm it can't be done, when the helix's wire's radius is around 1/3 mm.

help?

This model is too big(apparantly) to be attached here - it's 9.3 MB, I'm assuming it's because of the geometry. anyway - please tell me if you can mesh a helix:
with 17 turns, major radius of 5 mm, minor radius of 10/34 mm, axial pitch 0 and radial pitch 30/34 mm. these are the sizes of the helix - I have to of them, one is rotated so that it connects to the other at the end. end caps are perpendicular to spine(important!).

thanks for your time.

1 Reply Last Post Oct 31, 2011, 6:18 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 31, 2011, 6:18 a.m. EDT
Okay, so here's an update. The program is able to mesh a helix. one helix, with the same properties, except for the number of turns. I removed everything else and tried only to mesh the helix. So, it appears that the program can mesh the helix with these properties for any number of turns up to 11. however, if you set number of turns to 12, or anything higher - specifically 17 which is the number I need, it can't mesh it. there always seems to be one boundary which is not meshable.

note that for the helix I used a predefined extra fine mesh. extremely fine mesh does not work either if that matters, and just testing perhaps I was thinking wrong, extremely coarse mesh doesn't do too. What could make the mesh not work? there aren't any parameters I could find to define mesh properties further than I already have.

Thanks for your help, the model once again cannot be attached, since it's too large a file (6.6MB now), sorry for the inconvenience.

Shoval
Okay, so here's an update. The program is able to mesh a helix. one helix, with the same properties, except for the number of turns. I removed everything else and tried only to mesh the helix. So, it appears that the program can mesh the helix with these properties for any number of turns up to 11. however, if you set number of turns to 12, or anything higher - specifically 17 which is the number I need, it can't mesh it. there always seems to be one boundary which is not meshable. note that for the helix I used a predefined extra fine mesh. extremely fine mesh does not work either if that matters, and just testing perhaps I was thinking wrong, extremely coarse mesh doesn't do too. What could make the mesh not work? there aren't any parameters I could find to define mesh properties further than I already have. Thanks for your help, the model once again cannot be attached, since it's too large a file (6.6MB now), sorry for the inconvenience. Shoval

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.