Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Effective mode area

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Does anyone know how to caculate the effective mode area of the fundemental mode in an optical fiber using COMSOL 3.5?

4 Replies Last Post Nov 4, 2015, 8:57 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ke Wang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2011, 11:46 a.m. EST
Have u slove the problem? I have the same question.

Good luck
Have u slove the problem? I have the same question. Good luck

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 4, 2015, 7:58 a.m. EST
Reviving this thread!

Does anyone know the answer?

If I plot the cut line through the center is there a a simple way of extracting the 1/e width and exporting into a table from that graph?
Reviving this thread! Does anyone know the answer? If I plot the cut line through the center is there a a simple way of extracting the 1/e width and exporting into a table from that graph?

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 4, 2015, 8:42 a.m. EST
Acording to www.rp-photonics.com/effective_mode_area.html

A_eff= int I dxdy / int I^2 dxdy

Which means that using two Derived values" i.e. the integrals of emw.Poavz and emw.Poavz^2 and deciding one by the other the answer is achieved.

However the two values end up in two different tables and I can not plot one table divided by the other. So Ig guess I have to store the sol in tables on file import to matlab perform the division and then export to a similar table on file that then can be plotted...
Acording to https://www.rp-photonics.com/effective_mode_area.html A_eff= int I dxdy / int I^2 dxdy Which means that using two Derived values" i.e. the integrals of emw.Poavz and emw.Poavz^2 and deciding one by the other the answer is achieved. However the two values end up in two different tables and I can not plot one table divided by the other. So Ig guess I have to store the sol in tables on file import to matlab perform the division and then export to a similar table on file that then can be plotted...

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 4, 2015, 8:57 a.m. EST
Hello Micke,
You could use Component Couplings of the Integration type to compute the integrals. This way each integral has a name and you can divide one by the other within COMSOL. Use "Update Solution" to evalaute the component couplings without having to recompute the solution.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Micke, You could use Component Couplings of the Integration type to compute the integrals. This way each integral has a name and you can divide one by the other within COMSOL. Use "Update Solution" to evalaute the component couplings without having to recompute the solution. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.