Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ideas and offers for next versions/updates

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I could not find a topic in which we can offer/ask for new things that do not exist in current comsol versions yet, so I thought I could open one and maybe it'll catch :)

I'll start - I use ACDC alot, and I want to define a terminal/ground node in MEF for example, on a surface that is not on the outside area of the model - a.k.a I want to have that node available when it's not a sub-node of magnetic insulation. If this exists somehow, tell me of course :)

You are all welcome to post here your ideas too, perhaps we can compile them together and send it in eventually :)

Shoval

8 Replies Last Post Jan 6, 2012, 1:09 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 17, 2011, 7:16 a.m. EST
Hi

But are you sure what you demand is "physical" ? in MEF you solve for scalar V and vector A. Normally with magnetic fields you need to loop your current too, to get the physics correct. You cannot have spontaneous apparition and removal of voltage or current in the middle of your model, as for ES or EC where you ignore the vector A.

Or am I wrong ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi But are you sure what you demand is "physical" ? in MEF you solve for scalar V and vector A. Normally with magnetic fields you need to loop your current too, to get the physics correct. You cannot have spontaneous apparition and removal of voltage or current in the middle of your model, as for ES or EC where you ignore the vector A. Or am I wrong ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 17, 2011, 7:50 a.m. EST
Hi again,

You might be right; but suppose I have a device providing my current, and it is sitting inside the system. It is fed with DC from outside, yes, but with it it provides me AC or anything else; I don't want to have to build the device itself in COMSOL, it's complicated and I don't know how it generates the current; but I do want the current it is generating, and I need it to physically be in a place where it is inside the cylinder of air in which I want my results..

Also, another idea perhaps, I don't know if that's easy to create but it's worth to offer - a 'test geometry' node, for which you feed the domains/objects you want to test from the geometry you have. it's like a shortcut for disabling alot of nodes, running and enabling; especially if the disabled ones are stuff like revolve or extrude, in which you need to re-create them after enabling.

Shoval
Hi again, You might be right; but suppose I have a device providing my current, and it is sitting inside the system. It is fed with DC from outside, yes, but with it it provides me AC or anything else; I don't want to have to build the device itself in COMSOL, it's complicated and I don't know how it generates the current; but I do want the current it is generating, and I need it to physically be in a place where it is inside the cylinder of air in which I want my results.. Also, another idea perhaps, I don't know if that's easy to create but it's worth to offer - a 'test geometry' node, for which you feed the domains/objects you want to test from the geometry you have. it's like a shortcut for disabling alot of nodes, running and enabling; especially if the disabled ones are stuff like revolve or extrude, in which you need to re-create them after enabling. Shoval

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 17, 2011, 7:58 a.m. EST
Hi

for the second point I agree, having means to group the sub-nodes with dummy title nodes could be handy, but as nodes position (top-down) is important you cannot do all sorts of grouping. I'm not COMSOL so I cannot do anything, but the developers are reading our exchanges so they might come with a hint.

I believe that if you want to solve for MEF (full vector A & scalar V) you need to be coherent with the physics, so there must be other ways to correctly get what you want

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for the second point I agree, having means to group the sub-nodes with dummy title nodes could be handy, but as nodes position (top-down) is important you cannot do all sorts of grouping. I'm not COMSOL so I cannot do anything, but the developers are reading our exchanges so they might come with a hint. I believe that if you want to solve for MEF (full vector A & scalar V) you need to be coherent with the physics, so there must be other ways to correctly get what you want -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 17, 2011, 8:33 a.m. EST
I have submitted requests to support before but I will state mine here:

1) Smith chart for the RF module - Such a tragedy it does not have one already.

2) Live cursors on 1D plots or anything with with xy axes of information. Why would any plot not have "live" data that you can read off directly.

3) Add a K coupling statement to the spice interface - do you realize how hard this makes it to build a transformer w/o it? It can be done but that requires knowing the ODEs/PDEs for the circuit. The s/w is supposed to make my life easier, not harder. If LT Switchercad can do it for free...

4) Geometry snapping in 3D. I don't know how many times I cannot get geometry objects to line up exactly and then only be off by fractional amounts (and then it won't mesh and simulate). I think having a way to snap faces together would be great.
I have submitted requests to support before but I will state mine here: 1) Smith chart for the RF module - Such a tragedy it does not have one already. 2) Live cursors on 1D plots or anything with with xy axes of information. Why would any plot not have "live" data that you can read off directly. 3) Add a K coupling statement to the spice interface - do you realize how hard this makes it to build a transformer w/o it? It can be done but that requires knowing the ODEs/PDEs for the circuit. The s/w is supposed to make my life easier, not harder. If LT Switchercad can do it for free... 4) Geometry snapping in 3D. I don't know how many times I cannot get geometry objects to line up exactly and then only be off by fractional amounts (and then it won't mesh and simulate). I think having a way to snap faces together would be great.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 17, 2011, 9:05 a.m. EST
I have to say that for point 4 of your post, I totally support and encourage that. more than once it has occured to me and not always I managed to work around it. For example, sweeping over pi/2 radians not always gets you the two end surfaces parallel to the axises.

I forgot to mention that I use 4.2, in case that matters.

I have to say that for point 4 of your post, I totally support and encourage that. more than once it has occured to me and not always I managed to work around it. For example, sweeping over pi/2 radians not always gets you the two end surfaces parallel to the axises. I forgot to mention that I use 4.2, in case that matters.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 5, 2012, 6:14 a.m. EST
Implementing GPU computation through CUDA or openGL.
GPU computation has way surpassed the CPU counterpart. Users like me without high end workstations or cluster access would save lot more time by implementing these feature.
Implementing GPU computation through CUDA or openGL. GPU computation has way surpassed the CPU counterpart. Users like me without high end workstations or cluster access would save lot more time by implementing these feature.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 5, 2012, 11:41 a.m. EST
a timer just to see how long the program has been computing could be good, or at least a timestamp on the log file.
a timer just to see how long the program has been computing could be good, or at least a timestamp on the log file.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 6, 2012, 1:09 a.m. EST
Camera path for 3D animation; like click with the mouse and moving a little but; much more impressive!

Ralf
Camera path for 3D animation; like click with the mouse and moving a little but; much more impressive! Ralf

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.