Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Residence time in the particle tracing module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I ran a simulation of a polymeric solution inside an extrusion die by using laminar flow and carreau model. Afterwards, I implemented the particle tracing module, beacuse I am interested in the residence time which is the time a particle takes to exit the die.

Does anybody know how to add the auxiliary dependent variable: d(rp)/dt = 1 in the particle tracing module?

Somebody told me that this will solve the additional ODE per particle, and rp is the residence time.

3 Replies Last Post Dec 18, 2013, 9:39 a.m. EST
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2012, 8:47 a.m. EST
Hi, you simply right click on the "Particle Tracing for Fluid Flow" interface and chose "Auxiliary dependent variable".
Hi, you simply right click on the "Particle Tracing for Fluid Flow" interface and chose "Auxiliary dependent variable".

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 17, 2013, 9:23 p.m. EST
Hi,I want to ask one question about the residence time in the particle tracing module.
I have chosen "Auxiliary dependent variable",and set to"with respect to time"
But after study ,when I want to show the data of every particle by histogram
it says"failed to evaluate expression
-expression: model1.rp
-plot:hist1(histogram)"
Should I define a varaiable before study in Defination?
I will be grateful for your help.

Hi,I want to ask one question about the residence time in the particle tracing module. I have chosen "Auxiliary dependent variable",and set to"with respect to time" But after study ,when I want to show the data of every particle by histogram it says"failed to evaluate expression -expression: model1.rp -plot:hist1(histogram)" Should I define a varaiable before study in Defination? I will be grateful for your help.

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 18, 2013, 9:39 a.m. EST
Hi, the Histogram plot needs to have its "Data set" pointing to the "Particle 1" data set.

Dan
Hi, the Histogram plot needs to have its "Data set" pointing to the "Particle 1" data set. Dan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.