Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal Expansion Layered Shell - Composite Vs Aluminum

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate the thermal expansion of a thin plate illuminated by Laser with two different materials; plate-1: CFRP composite, plate-2: Aluminum clad panel. I'm using "Layered Shell" interface with "Heat transfer in Shells" interface and the Multiphysics coupling of "Layered Thermal Expansion".

For plate-1: CFRP composite panel, the simulation works fine and shows both the Von-Mises stresses and Temperature distribution in the panel.

However, for plate-2: Aluminum Clad panel, the simulation only runs for Heat Transfer interface and shows only Temperature distribution and doesn't show Von-Mises stresses. It doesn't give any error or warning.

Both the model files are attached here (files are of version 5.6). Kindly help me out with this query.

Note: files were very large in size to be uploaded here. Therefore, all the mesh and solutions are cleared to reduce the file size.

1 Reply Last Post Jan 19, 2021, 5:39 a.m. EST
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 19, 2021, 5:39 a.m. EST

Dear Rahul,

I am not sure why it happended. One reason could be perhaps the sequence of operations you performed. To fix this issue, you can delete Solver Configurations under Study-1 and it should start working.

Feel free to get back if the issue persists. Thank you.

Best regards,
Pawan Soami

Dear Rahul, I am not sure why it happended. One reason could be perhaps the sequence of operations you performed. To fix this issue, you can delete Solver Configurations under Study-1 and it should start working. Feel free to get back if the issue persists. Thank you. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.