Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Postplot calling an external matlab function --> no plot

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, (this was sent to COMSOL support, too.)

I'm having an issue in version 3.5a using postplot function: in matlab, when postplot tries to surface plot a function that is defined as an external matlab function, a figure window opens but no plot appears. There, I notice that matlab uses 100% CPU resource. What could be the problem?

Here is a specific scenario that I tested:

- In a 2D electrostatics setup, make some region (subdomain) between two constant-potential boundaries have a spatially-varying permittivity defined as an external matlab function.
- Solve for the potential V (done in 'comsol matlab' environment).
- Save the project as a .m file
- In matlab, load the .m file
- Try making these plots:

1. Plot the solved potential V via

h=postplot(fem,'tridata','V');

A correct plot of potential distribution appears.

2. Plot the permittivity via

h=postplot(fem,'tridata','epsilonr_emes');

Matlab goes to work (100% CPU usage), but no plot appears (indefinite wait).

This behavior was observed in both linux and windows versions.

What could be the problem?

Thank you in advance,

Do-Hoon

0 Replies Last Post May 10, 2012, 4:29 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Do-Hoon Kwon

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.