Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Handling multi-core simulations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have a 32 core computer (2 processors with 16 cores each). I read on the help page that we can specify the number of cores to be used for a given simulation.

My question is : If I start 2 simulations simultaneously that I specify to utilize 16 cores each, how I do I prevent them from sharing a few common cores? Each simulation ideally should be able to run on its independent core. Is that something COMSOL does automatically?

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post Aug 27, 2021, 1:23 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Aug 27, 2021, 12:23 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Aug 27, 2021, 12:26 p.m. EDT

Are you using Windows? If your computer and OS is like mine, then hit Ctrl-Atl-Del and choose Task Manager. Go to the Details tab. Find Comsol in the list of processes (I'm assuming that you have Comsol Multiphysics open.) Right-click on Comsol.exe . Choose Set Affinity. You can now choose which cores to associate with that process. If you have two (or more) instances of Comsol.exe running, you can assign different (or overlapping) sets of cores to each one. Note that depending on your operating system and how your computer is administered, you may or may not have the required "permissions" to make these changes. If necesssary, complain to your IT/administrator folks and tell them you want/need those permissions!

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Are you using Windows? If your computer and OS is like mine, then hit *Ctrl-Atl-Del* and choose *Task Manager*. Go to the *Details* tab. Find Comsol in the list of processes (I'm assuming that you have Comsol Multiphysics open.) Right-click on Comsol.exe . Choose *Set Affinity*. You can now choose which cores to associate with that process. If you have two (or more) instances of Comsol.exe running, you can assign different (or overlapping) sets of cores to each one. Note that depending on your operating system and how your computer is administered, you may or may not have the required "permissions" to make these changes. If necesssary, complain to your IT/administrator folks and tell them you want/need those permissions!

Posted: 3 years ago Aug 27, 2021, 1:23 p.m. EDT

Thanks Robert for the suggestion, that worked for my Windows OS. Still curious that this is probably something COMSOL must/should be taking care automatically. Hopefully, a COMSOL engineer can reply to this. Appreciate the quick feedback :)

Thanks Robert for the suggestion, that worked for my Windows OS. Still curious that this is probably something COMSOL must/should be taking care automatically. Hopefully, a COMSOL engineer can reply to this. Appreciate the quick feedback :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.