Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Different results for different Mesh types in COMSOL (Mapped Mesh vs Triangular mesh in AC/ DC and MEMS Module)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am trying to use the MEMS module (or AC/DC Module) to find the effect of electrostatics on the natural frequencies of a structure.

When I use Mapped mesh, I get a result that is way different than the time I am using triangular mesh. Even when I use smaller meshes, the results converge to two very different numbers.

The difference is significant, and I cannot say which answer is correct. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post Oct 25, 2022, 5:00 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Jul 23, 2022, 7:41 p.m. EDT

There are a number of possibilities, relating variously to your geometry, mesh, boundary conditions, solver settings, etc. So I encourage you to post your .mph file to the forum so that others can examine it and offer their suggestions.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
There are a number of possibilities, relating variously to your geometry, mesh, boundary conditions, solver settings, etc. So I encourage you to post your .mph file to the forum so that others can examine it and offer their suggestions.

Posted: 2 years ago Oct 25, 2022, 5:00 p.m. EDT

Hello, Thank you for your answer.

I did mesh refinements, still different types of meshes converge to different results.

Here I attached the file. Please take a look at the results of two different studies in which each study uses one type of mesh (Mapped or Triangular mesh).

Then the graphs show the displacement for different types of mesh which are very different.

Thanks

>There are a number of possibilities, relating variously to your geometry, mesh, boundary conditions, solver settings, etc. So I encourage you to post your .mph file to the forum so that others can examine it and offer their suggestions. Hello, Thank you for your answer. I did mesh refinements, still different types of meshes converge to different results. Here I attached the file. Please take a look at the results of two different studies in which each study uses one type of mesh (Mapped or Triangular mesh). Then the graphs show the displacement for different types of mesh which are very different. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.