Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Distance between two points

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi !
Suppose I put two circles at position (0,0) and (0,2). If I rotate the second circle with respect to first(0,0) at a range (0,60,360), it gives a hexagon.Is there any way to confirm the distance between centre and other points surrounding it are same.If I measure it by point measurement then it gives wrong result.Please help me in this regard.I am using COMSOL 4.3.151.Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post Dec 14, 2012, 9:38 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 14, 2012, 9:38 a.m. EST
Hi

normally you should get the same value, what I suspect is that the picking of the points are not perfect, you have also the snap to grid on/off issue.
You cannot really tell from the graphics view where you points are, you can generate points by intersecting lines and getting COMSOL to make the intersection points when you analyse the geometry via the geometry finish node, but you are also linked to the geometry and "finish" tolerances tolerance

I tried to generate lines by using the built-in snap function, the results are small deviations around 1E-4, but if I use trigonometric analytical functions to define my points, I'm getting measured values precise to the correct number of digits

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally you should get the same value, what I suspect is that the picking of the points are not perfect, you have also the snap to grid on/off issue. You cannot really tell from the graphics view where you points are, you can generate points by intersecting lines and getting COMSOL to make the intersection points when you analyse the geometry via the geometry finish node, but you are also linked to the geometry and "finish" tolerances tolerance I tried to generate lines by using the built-in snap function, the results are small deviations around 1E-4, but if I use trigonometric analytical functions to define my points, I'm getting measured values precise to the correct number of digits -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.