Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Concentrated Chemical Species

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am in trouble defining the constraint for the dependent variables (mass fractions) in Concentrated Chemical Species physics.
I have the mass fraction of Species A to E and one inert (total 6 chemical species): wA, wB, wC, wD, wE and wI (inert). There are two reactions:
A + B < = > C + D .......(1)
C + B < = > D + E .......(2)
Now, the reaction (2) is in equilibrium with reaction (1) and I have the rate law for the reaction (1), so from equilibrium I can calculate the concentration of E in reaction (2). In Comsol I don't need to define wE (mass fraction of E), as I can calculate its concentration from the equilibrium but it is only possible when I satisfy the condition wA+wB+wC+wD+wE+wI = 1. So somehow I need to let Comsol know that there is another chemical component E which is in equilibrium with the remaining, and constraint is sum of all species mass fractions = 1.
let me know how to deal with such situation in Comsol.

Thanks all
Mayur

1 Reply Last Post May 24, 2013, 11:38 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 24, 2013, 11:38 a.m. EDT
Hello All,

I am in trouble defining the constraint for the dependent variables (mass fractions) in Concentrated Chemical Species physics.
I have the mass fraction of Species A to E and one inert (total 6 chemical species): wA, wB, wC, wD, wE and wI (inert). There are two reactions:
A + B < = > C + D .......(1)
C + B < = > D + E .......(2)
Now, the reaction (2) is in equilibrium with reaction (1) and I have the rate law for the reaction (1), so from equilibrium I can calculate the concentration of E in reaction (2). In Comsol I don't need to define wE (mass fraction of E), as I can calculate its concentration from the equilibrium but it is only possible when I satisfy the condition wA+wB+wC+wD+wE+wI = 1. So somehow I need to let Comsol know that there is another chemical component E which is in equilibrium with the remaining, and constraint is sum of all species mass fractions = 1.
let me know how to deal with such situation in Comsol.

Thanks all
Mayur
Hello All, I am in trouble defining the constraint for the dependent variables (mass fractions) in Concentrated Chemical Species physics. I have the mass fraction of Species A to E and one inert (total 6 chemical species): wA, wB, wC, wD, wE and wI (inert). There are two reactions: A + B < = > C + D .......(1) C + B < = > D + E .......(2) Now, the reaction (2) is in equilibrium with reaction (1) and I have the rate law for the reaction (1), so from equilibrium I can calculate the concentration of E in reaction (2). In Comsol I don't need to define wE (mass fraction of E), as I can calculate its concentration from the equilibrium but it is only possible when I satisfy the condition wA+wB+wC+wD+wE+wI = 1. So somehow I need to let Comsol know that there is another chemical component E which is in equilibrium with the remaining, and constraint is sum of all species mass fractions = 1. let me know how to deal with such situation in Comsol. Thanks all Mayur

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.