Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to run comsol with full power of computer?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear friends,

I am now running my comsol program on multiphase flow. Actually I have an XEON processor in my computer with 3.5 GHz speed. But I check the performance and only 50% of the processor is used. Do someone have an idea how to run comsol with the full power of the computer? I do not have clusters and have no idea how to arrange the advanced solver. Can someone give me any advice?

Thanks quite a lot!

Best regards,
Miao

5 Replies Last Post Jan 14, 2016, 3:04 a.m. EST

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 19, 2015, 2:10 a.m. EDT
I think your computer system uses hyperthreading. COMSOL doesn't support it.

see the link below:
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1096/

I think your computer system uses hyperthreading. COMSOL doesn't support it. see the link below: http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1096/

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 19, 2015, 4:17 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Usually comsol consider to use half of the cores of your system.

So, if you are going to: Preferences>Multicore and cluster computing>Number of processors
then you can change that section and choose all the cores that you have in your computer.

Hope it helps.
Sepideh
Hi, Usually comsol consider to use half of the cores of your system. So, if you are going to: Preferences>Multicore and cluster computing>Number of processors then you can change that section and choose all the cores that you have in your computer. Hope it helps. Sepideh

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 13, 2016, 3:51 p.m. EST
Hi everyone,

I've a similar problem.
I've already read other post, but without solution.

A simply CFD problem (500kelements) runs two times faster on a DELL Alienware for gaming (2013) than on a huge workstation with 32 XEON cores, 256Gb of RAM and SSD (2016, just installed).

When I checked the WS performance, the CPU is used only at 5%.
And I wasn't able to speed up the program.

How to do?
Hi everyone, I've a similar problem. I've already read other post, but without solution. A simply CFD problem (500kelements) runs two times faster on a DELL Alienware for gaming (2013) than on a huge workstation with 32 XEON cores, 256Gb of RAM and SSD (2016, just installed). When I checked the WS performance, the CPU is used only at 5%. And I wasn't able to speed up the program. How to do?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 13, 2016, 7:49 p.m. EST
Hello Michele,
It is a misconception to think that all problems will solve faster on a more expensive computer. As a starting point, this blog post should be of interest in explaining why a small problem (especially a transient one) can run slower when parallelized: www.comsol.com/blogs/understanding-parallel-computing/
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Michele, It is a misconception to think that all problems will solve faster on a more expensive computer. As a starting point, this blog post should be of interest in explaining why a small problem (especially a transient one) can run slower when parallelized: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/understanding-parallel-computing/ Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 14, 2016, 3:04 a.m. EST
Thanks Jeff.
I understand the problem about parallelization, but I deem that the new WS should be runnig faster than the gaming PC.

The old gaming computer is an Alienware DELL (2013).
The new WS is a DELL T7910 (2015).

Here the main performance:
old: 1 CPU i73930k, 6 Cores @ 3.2 GHz - 16GB Ram DDR3
new: 2 CPU Xeon E5 2698 v3, 16 cores @2.3 GHz - 256 GB Ram DDR4

Of course, the bandwith of the memory bus is complitely different between the two computers.

Before removing the license on the old one, I have seen that all 6 cores were used around 80-100% on the old one, whereas only one or two on the new one.
Why that difference?
Thanks Jeff. I understand the problem about parallelization, but I deem that the new WS should be runnig faster than the gaming PC. The old gaming computer is an Alienware DELL (2013). The new WS is a DELL T7910 (2015). Here the main performance: old: 1 CPU i73930k, 6 Cores @ 3.2 GHz - 16GB Ram DDR3 new: 2 CPU Xeon E5 2698 v3, 16 cores @2.3 GHz - 256 GB Ram DDR4 Of course, the bandwith of the memory bus is complitely different between the two computers. Before removing the license on the old one, I have seen that all 6 cores were used around 80-100% on the old one, whereas only one or two on the new one. Why that difference?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.