Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ground plane connection of a antenna

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am working on a antenna model using the RF module and am wondering if anyone had any thoughts on setting up a shielding condition using a ground plane.

I have a two arm spiral antenna with the arms having a BC of 'perfect conductors', between the arms I've used a 'lumped port'. The arms are modelled below a 50mm cavity which again has a BC of 'perfect conductor' on the bottom and the sides are open. The actual design would have this plane connected to ground.

How should I setup this ground connection in the RF module?

Thanks in advance,
David

4 Replies Last Post Jan 20, 2012, 8:49 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 16, 2012, 6:13 a.m. EST
David,

I think you don't need an explicit ground connection. This would only set a DC reference potential. This doesn't affect the radiation properties of your antenna.

Cheers
Edgar
David, I think you don't need an explicit ground connection. This would only set a DC reference potential. This doesn't affect the radiation properties of your antenna. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 16, 2012, 8:22 a.m. EST
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your comments. It does seem to act as a shield from the field plots - I just want to ensure there is no floating potential on the surface.

Best regards,
David
Hi Edgar, Thanks for your comments. It does seem to act as a shield from the field plots - I just want to ensure there is no floating potential on the surface. Best regards, David

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 16, 2012, 9:41 a.m. EST
Hi,

Ive done something very similar to this.
It would be great if you could upload a snapshot of your geometry.

Regards
Glenston
Hi, Ive done something very similar to this. It would be great if you could upload a snapshot of your geometry. Regards Glenston

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2012, 8:49 a.m. EST
Hi Glenston,

This model we are developing is a prototype antenna for a commerical partner; therefore, I cannot upload the model.

I'll have a look and see if there are any other similar models which I can upload.

Best regards,
David
Hi Glenston, This model we are developing is a prototype antenna for a commerical partner; therefore, I cannot upload the model. I'll have a look and see if there are any other similar models which I can upload. Best regards, David

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.