Please note This entry concerns COMSOL 6.2. For COMSOL 6.1, please see Knowledge Base 1300
- COMSOL 6.2 for macOS Intel can not be used under Rosetta on Apple Silicon computers.
- For the CAD Import Module and the Design Module, file import of the IGES and STEP, file formats requires Rosetta 2.
Notes on Performance
- For optimal performance COMSOL uses only the performance cores of the Apple SoC. Because of this it may appear that COMSOL is not using all CPU resources.
- For newer Apple silicon SoCs (released after COMSOL 6.2), setting the number of performance cores may have to be done manually from Settings → Multicore and Cluster Computing. Otherwise, COMSOL may end up being allocated to efficiency cores instead of performance cores resulting in poor performance.
- Poor performance can be caused by setting COMSOL as a low priority process. This can happen, for example, when launching COMSOL from Cron or Launchd, or by enabling very conservative power saving settings in macOS.
- For most models, running COMSOL with the BLAS library ArmPL rather than the default vecLib library can lead to significant performance improvements. To use ArmPL, append
-blas armplto your COMSOL Start command. The ArmPL BLAS library is not not used by default as it was released too late to be thoroughly tested before the release of COMSOL 6.2.
- Virtual memory usage is not properly reported.
- External MATLAB® Function calls are not supported.
- The PARDISO solver is not supported, so when PARDISO is selected COMSOL will automatically switch to the MUMPS solver with settings selected to emulate PARDISO. For certain models, this can lead to poor performance. For improved performance, manually select the MUMPS solver in the Direct nodes in the Solver sequence.
COMSOL makes every reasonable effort to verify the information you view on this page. Resources and documents are provided for your information only, and COMSOL makes no explicit or implied claims to their validity. COMSOL does not assume any legal liability for the accuracy of the data disclosed. Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark details.