Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Create CFD mesh from CAD geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody, I think that my question is a little stupid, but I do not have idea how to solve the problem. Basically, I have a CAD mesh created by SolidWorks that is similar to a heat exchange water-air. As you can imagine, the CAD mesh is about the vessel, pipes, inlet and outlet...My advisor ask me for the CFD analysis of water, so the "inner volume" of the mesh that defines the boundary of the flow volume, but I have only the structural geometry. Is there a way to extract the mesh of the water starting from the CAD geometry, after its import in COMSOL?

Thank you, Domenico

1 Reply Last Post Aug 27, 2019, 1:39 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Aug 27, 2019, 1:39 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Aug 27, 2019, 1:56 p.m. EDT

Hello Domenico,

The capability you are looking for is called "Cap Faces" in COMSOL lingo. It has been discussed on this Discussion Forum a few times before, so a query of the Discussion Forum should get you most of the information you need. This blog demonstrates its use. This second blog discusses Cap Faces and a few other geometry editing capabilities when geometries are imported from other tools.

One important point is that the "Cap Faces" capability is included in the following optional products:

• CAD Import Module

• Design Module

• all of the "LiveLink for CAD products"

so you'll need your license to have one of those products on it. You can check which products are currently included on your license by going to File>Used and Licensed Products.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Domenico, The capability you are looking for is called "Cap Faces" in COMSOL lingo. It has been discussed on this Discussion Forum a few times before, so a query of the Discussion Forum should get you most of the information you need. This [blog](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/meshing-cap-off-for-cap-on/) demonstrates its use. [This second blog](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/working-imported-cad-designs/) discusses Cap Faces and a few other geometry editing capabilities when geometries are imported from other tools. One important point is that the "Cap Faces" capability is included in the following optional products: * CAD Import Module * Design Module * all of the "LiveLink for CAD products" so you'll need your license to have one of those products on it. You can check which products are currently included on your license by going to File>Used and Licensed Products. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.